For those who prefer going for a simple design and powerful mechanisms, the Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7920 is the best choice to make. There are many attractive features of this tiller that makes it the right machine to use for matching every need of your garden, which includes easier storage, use of gasoline and oil mix as a fuel (and hence no electricity), better depth, etc.
- The component behind the total effective power produced in the tilling process is the design of the tines and the amount of torque produced by the engine. In the case of this tiller, there are over 10 close sharp edges in each blade. Now, the number of tines on the blades of this tiller plays a very important role as more the number of tines, better is the ability of the tiller to cut through the hard clumps of sand while tilling your ground.
- Another important feature to consider is the amount of displacement provided by the engine, and the engine of this tiller provides a displacement of 21 cc, which provides ample power for the blades to cut through barren grounds, etc.
- In the category of these types of tillers, the type of engine is also another important constraint to ensure factors such as fuel efficiency, power, etc. The type of engine used in this tiller is a 2-cycle engine, which provides better results on the above mentioned factors than other types of engines such as 4-cycle engines, etc.
- Also, there are multiple choices available for the type of grip that you want in the handles of this tiller. The first type is the regular handles which includes a throttle control at the right handle, and not much design aesthetics in particular. On the other hand, the second type is the “Sure-Grip” handles that comes with a throttle and other controls on the right handle, better design for the handles, etc.
- This tiller comes with California Air Resource Board (CARB) compliance, which is an agency that ensures environmental protection and provides standards to reduce the problems associated with air pollution.
- It can be observed that unlike other tiller designs, there is no wheels provided at the back of the blades in this machine. This in fact, is an added advantage when you are tilling uneven terrain, since you are able to do so without any obstructions and extra weight.
- Also, while tilling a piece of land, it is often noticed that users either have to provide some sort of support to keep the tiller in its vertical position, or lay it down horizontally on the ground. This problem is also solved in this tiller, by providing a kickstand, that keeps the tiller in a slanted position, and makes it easy for the users to take a break and then later resume from the same point.
- A major challenge faced while using a tiller is the amount of space that it takes for storage. A simple solution to this is provided in the case of the Mantis tiller. In the middle of both the rods between the handles and the engine section, a screw mechanism is provided, which can be loosened in order to fold the rods. This feature is quite important, because once you remove the blades too, the amount of space taken by this tiller is much lesser compared to other tillers.
- Another important aspect of this tiller is the amount of depth that it provides. In many of the tiller designs in this category, the depth can be adjusted by a depth stake, etc. to achieve a maximum possible depth of around 8 inches or so. In the case of this tiller, however, the maximum possible depth is 10 inches and a width of 9 inches, which is much better than other tillers of its class.
Tips for Easy Handling:
- Even though not having the extra set of wheels saves up on the aspect of the total weight of the machine, the movement of this machine depends on the user to some extent. The powerful motion of the blades loosens up the soil pretty fast, enabling in a much easier tilling process, but for tilling an unfertile or a harsh piece of land, the user will have to put in good amount of energy.
- Also, to make sure that every piece of garden is covered and well-trimmed, it is advisable to use the set of accessories that comes with the Mantis Tiller. To begin with, you can make use of the “LAWN AERATOR” for loosening up the soil before treating the land with compost or manure, etc. Next, the “BORDER EDGER” helps you to take care of those tricky edges around you garden. The “PLOW” kit helps you while planting seeds, etc., and finally, the “LAWN DETHATCHER” kit helps to keep your garden in shape by trimming the grass, etc.
This tiller is sold in the price range of $300 to $500, and the total cost of the machine also depends on the accessories that you buy, shipping costs, etc. This garden tiller is easily available on many online shopping websites like Amazon. Also, this tiller has a very good rating score in many of these online websites, which is a sign of user satisfaction and demand.
Also Checkout the Reviews of Other Tillers: